Thursday, December 29, 2005

Double Feature

I know I just posted, but I'm posting again. Why? Because I have more to say, and didn't want to say it all in that super huge post.

Yesterday fabian and I went to Landstuhl, where the largest air base for America is in Germany, Ramstein, and where a movie theater with a couple English movies always playing is. We first saw Cheaper by the Dozen Two, staring Steve Martin. It is the sequel to the first movie, Cheaper by the Dozen. This time Steve Martin, his wife, and twelve kids go to spend a weekend at a lake in Wisconsin, where they get into a lot of competition with another family who has eight kids. The movie stars all (or at least most) of the original actors and actresses from the original movie, which makes it that much better. I hate sequels without the normal actors/voices. The movie is quite funny, better than I expected, but not necessarily one to see in the theater, in my opinion.

After that we also stayed and watched The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe. Now, for those of you who read the book, I haven't, so I can't tell you how it compares to the book. But I can tell you that I found it simply magnificent. It incorporates comedy, action, and suspense along with a huge dose of imagination and was very well done. All the creatures look very realistic, and the acting was great. It has some scary parts, and some killing, though there is never any blood or guts. I jumped more than once, and am not sure it is a suitable movie for very young children.

I'm really impressed by all of the wonderful movies which are coming out now, that are or were children books.... movies that are great for us adults too, which remind us of what it was like to use our imaginations, and gives us an excuse to read a book, or see a movie originally meant for younger people. Movies which let us be a kid again (not that I myself am really old).

Also, thanks to these movies I now have a list of ones I want to read to my kids someday:

Harry Potter
The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe
A Series of Unfortunate Events

What good children books will be next, that I will have to add to my list? Animorphs? It's great to see good movies coming out again, instead of only the stupid remakes or sequels to movies that we don't need or necessarily want remakes or sequels to.

So, kudos to you Hollywood! Please, keep up the good movie making.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home