Sunday, December 18, 2005

Yoga for Christians?

Hello hello. So, as you all know, I have recently started doing Yoga once, maybe twice, per week. During my very first Yoga class, we did a variety of stretches and poses. Physically I was exhausted but more energized. Mentally I was unsure and feeling a bit funny. Our stretches felt wonderful (and painful) and I knew instantly that if I did the regularly they would put me into better shape. However, mentally I didn't and still don't agree with some of the things my yoga instructor says.

For instance, in the beginning of each yoga session we say "OM." OM isn't actually a word, it is a sound that, according to a variety of sources, is made up of "A" "U" and "M." Each sound represents different things. "A" represents the waking state of concsciousness, "U" represents the dream state of consciousness and "M" represents the deep sleep state of consciousness. While repeating the word repiticiously, there is a silence between the words (however short) this represents a stage of Pefect Bliss in which 'the individual self recognizing his identity with the supreme.' (found: here) Now... all of you know the comical picture of someone sitting with their legs crossed, hands on both knees or in a prayer position, and saying OM and how it seems a bit comical of a picture (at least it is portrayed in that way on TV/in society it seems). Needless to say, I had to stop myself from laughing at the picture of 10 of us doing so that first day of yoga. At the time I didn't know all that about "OM" but I had a feeling in my gut that it wasn't something for me.

After that I kept an open mind during my first Yoga class, and also an open ear to listen to what else this teacher was going to say. At various times he talked about the energy running through us from different places, about us sending energy from one part of our body to another. For instance when we rub our hands together quickly we are creating energy. Actually, in a biological sense I suppose this is true: the movement creates heat which is a form of energy. But I sense he was talking of a different energy than that of heat. Another good example is during a pose in which one hand is flat on the ground and the other hand is reaching into the sky. He talked about how we should 'feel the energy run through us from the Eath to the Heavens' (or perhaps from Heaven to Earth, I don't remember exactly). Here I also felt a little weird...

There were other examples that first day, and since then, in which he talked of something about energy flowing from here to there, or in which he played eastern style spiritual music, or in which he chanted in another language (not German orEnglish, an eastern language but I don't know which).

Now, first let me say that I have absolutely nothing against any Eastern Religion. I am not here to say that Christianity is better than any other religion or to say that chanting "OM" and believing in energy from the Earth/Sky etc. can not be right and a good thing to the right people. In short, I want you to all know that I am not here to pass judgements on any other religion or way of life as it relates to any other person. I can only say that for my own self, based on my research and my prayers to God and what I believe for me.

So, my question this morning is, can Christians peform Yoga? Since yoga was and is part of a spiritual practice, many people say that it is impossible to remove the excercises of yoga with the spiritual things it teaches. Meanwhile other Christians say that it is possible to use the postures of yoga in a Christian viewpoint in order to get the benefits of yoga without the spiritual teachings of Yoga which are generally at odds with Christian teachings.

So, can Christians peform yoga? Or more correctly, should christians perform yoga? I guess I'm sort of in the middle of the arguement, myself. Unlike some people, I don't believe doing Yoga opens up my mind to demons. However, I also don't like listening to all of the spiritual parts of yoga that my instructor talks about, and tend to ignore that part of Yoga and replace it with my own prayers to the God I believe in. I think it is possible to take the yoga positions separately from the spiritual part of yoga, and to still get the health benefits of Yoga. When I have done Yoga a few times at home alone, I have susbstituted the eastern style music with my own praise music, the "OM" chanting with prayer, and have equated the movements of the different positions (such as the Sun Salutation, a series of movements which are meant to worship the sun more or less) with praising God.

However, with doing my research this morning I have realized that I am only doing Yoga for two main reasons. The first is that I want to get into better shape, to strengthen all parts of my body as well as find peace - peace in the way of having both a healthy body and mind. Secondly, I started Yoga only because I wanted to try something new... with this in mind I stumbled upon a website which was against yoga for the Christian and they said something that makes sense to me. There are plenty of excercise regimes/ways of strengthening and toning your body which don't include any sort of spiritual undertones.

So, will I continue to do Yoga? At the very least I will continue through the end of the semester (in February) with my class. I paid for the time, I enjoy the physical aspects, and I feel that it isn't wrong for me to do yoga. However, I will also continue to ignore the things my instructor says which I don't agree with and make it into a time of prayer and thanksgiving to God. Beyond that: who knows. There are some things we have done which would be wonderful to my abs, or arms or back, etc. which I may still use to strengthen my body... things which i may use at home in order to strengthen the parts of my body which need it. And, ultimately I want to go back to jogging... I've missed jogging lately, the way I could just throw on some clothes and go at any time during the day... how i could let the jogging quiet my thoughts which always are my downfall and how instead I could use that time to think of the meaning of Bible verses or to prayer to God or both. I miss the energy it gave me when I kept up my three days a week too... and I am seriously considering breaking down in January and buying the right type of clothes for me to go jogging outside in the winter.

so... is yoga for christians? my answer would be that parts of it are.... and parts of it aren't. But that's only my opinion, and the only one my opinionis good for, is for me... everyone is responsible for finding their own opinion on the topic.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home