Tuesday, August 30, 2005

back from berlin

Well, we're back from Berlin. Okay, so we got back on Sunday night, late... and I was busy (and too lazy to write) yesterday, so here it is, a beautiful Tuesday, and I'm finally writing.

First, let me say that my heart goes out to all those people in the Southern USA. The Hurricane (Katrina as it is called here, don't know if that is the same name or different from the one in the States) is all over the news here, and I feel bad for all those people. They are in my prayers!!

Berlin was awesome. Simply awesome. We got there on Friday night, got to our hotel, then took off (On public transportation) for Alexanderplatz, where we saw The Blue Man Group. The Blue Man Group are the people you see on the Intel commercials in the States. They have blue heads and hands... they are very cool. Their show was hilarious, the music great... we sat in the eighth row, so we got to see lots of stuff. It was so much fun. I highly recommend going and seeing them sometime! There are links to the webpage to the right. After the show we went and ate at the Sony Center, which is a really cool dome thingie with lights in the dome... I can't describe it other than that. It's just really awesome.

On Saturday we saw lots of sights. We visited KaDeWe, a huge luxurious department store and ate breakfast there. THen we oogled the good american food you don't get over here. We also saw an Anne Frank museum (really cool), the Gedaechtnickirche which is a church that was bombed in WW2, the ruins are still standing and along with a new church tower are a memorial/reminder of all of WW2. We also saw the East Side Gallery, which is part of the Berlin wall which is still standing and has artwork on it. We saw a beach (sand put over dirt on the river's edge in Berlin), and several other things that I'm forgetting right now. Oh yeah - we went on a tour too, a boat tour around the city and saw lots more buildings. Lots of old buildings, and lots of new ones too.

On Sunday we saw the Brandenbuerger Tor, Checkpoint Charlie - where the US's section of Berlin (when Berlin was split after WW2) ended, ate really good food at a restaurant (okay, so we ate good food everyday), and where all the decisions in Germany are made.. I forget the name right now. Then we flew to Cologne, and drove home.

It was so much fun. I really like Berlin. It's a capital city, not too dirty with lots of history and lots of modern buildings and stuff too. We saw it all in only two and a half (not even) days... but it was fun, and I'm happy we went. And, I also spoke two days of German!!! yay!

I take my placement exam for my German course on Thursday... I'm nervous - i've been studying... i hope i do well. Then I start it next week. I got a new computer game, which my boyfriend bought for me... it's Zoo Tycoon, and I'm totally addicted. To my anonymous friend who leaves me comments - if you're still visiting on here, feel free to e-mail me at hisgirl1@gmail.com.... and, well, I think that's it for now. To the people who get my pics - new pics will be coming soon... I promise! I just need to finish them.

that's all for now folks... until tomorrow.. or whenever i blog again...

2 Comments:

At 3:10 PM, September 01, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

See now I want to go sightseeing. It sounds like you had a lot of fun. I miss you and Im glad you are having a good time. :)

 
At 8:12 PM, September 03, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mindy,

I loved hearing about your trip to Berlin. I have been to alot of these places too. The building where are the decisions in Germany are made is called the Reichstag I think. Berlin was one of my favorite cities I visted.

-K.C.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home