Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Lots of Stuff

well... its tuesday and oh what a day it has been.... more like what a weekend.

this past weekend we went to Giessen to visit my friend Tiff who is in the U.S. army. We rented a car, which ended up being quite an ugly car, that used the most expensive gas in germany (most cars are diesal, this one was super premium unleaded... which means gas was way more expensive). Not only did it use the most expensive gas in germany, but it got horrible gas mileage too. However, we did have a very nice stereo, so that helped a little.

well, we drove up there, which took about 3 hours. We finally got to the base, and got our passes (every time we entered or left the base we had to check in. this means we had to give them our passports and they gave us our passes until it was time to go, then we got our passports back. this didn't happen one time for the entire weekend it happened each time we left or entered a specific part of the bases.. so we got really good at checking in). Then we went up to my friend's apartment, which was actually really nice.

Friday night we didn't do much, Saturday we drove to Frankfurt. While in Frankfurt we went to the zoo (for those of you who don't know me I am planning on working in a zoo after college), Starbucks (a big deal, there aren't so many of these in Germany), and then we just wandered around a bit at a festival they had for the river. Literally... they had a festival to celebrate the river. It was just a carnival actually, not so much of a festival really.... it was cool though.

Sunday we went shopping at the Comissary, which is the shopping center on base for the army people. We bought lots of food for my boyfriend's birthday party, which we are having on Thursday. we are having an "american barbecue" in Germany... so we are making american potato salad, hamburgers, hot dogs (american kind), snicker salad, oreo delight, and american pop... it should be interesting, since about 40 to 50 people are coming (my boyfriend knows way too many people), they all speak mostly german, and all have no idea what all this stuff is that we are making. after shopping we played cribbage, and then had a tearful goodbye and came home.

It was a lot of fun. I really enjoy hanging out with tiff. It was nice this weekend to go up to the army base and visit with her. Being in the apartments there is just like being in America. It even smells like america. All of their stuff they eat gets flown in from America, even the milk, so it was like getting a taste of america again. and the milk was so good. I love milk, I can drink a gallon in a week and a half all by myself, and the milk in Germany is different. it still tastes good, but it is different than the way the milk at home tastes. so, it was nice to have good american milk one last time. and a peanut butter and jelly sandwhich like at home. those were the two things i missed... and i got them, plus a weekend with one of my best friends. i was sad though, to say goodbye. i won't see her now, for a long time. she goes to iraq in September... I don't know what I'd do if something happened to her... so, please, keep her and all of our other troops in your prayers.

but anyways, this is long. i'll try to write more tomorrow, though i'm not sure i'll have the time. I'm going to go shopping w/a friend of mine, and then thursday i need to be busy getting ready for the party we're having. Friday morning we leave for Allgaeu, it's a region in germany that we're visiting w/his band... We'll be gone until the 25th or so, then on the 26 or 27 we are going to Berlin for the weekend.. so I may not post until the end of August again.. so I apologize for the long time, but it can't be helped.

My goal for the two weeks with his band is to speak only german. we've yet to do that, and his band members are starting to talk to me, and i'm starting to feel more comfortable with them. they are great people, and they are patient with me,a nd my german (or lack thereof).

oh, and i didn't really join the military... saturday evening my boyfriend and Tiff decided it'd be fun to dress me up in all her gear, and then take lots of pics. these are only a few. it was quite entertaining... and i felt quite fat in all that gear... the helmet was soo heavy even..

lastly - thanks for all the comments everyone!

1 Comments:

At 5:24 PM, August 18, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello again my strange friend from America. Well I have read up on you again and I find you so very interesting. Is the army really so very hard to be in? I am looking forward to seeing more about your American BBQ in Germany. I hope all goes well. Enjoy your travels and good luck.

Your friend

 

Post a Comment

<< Home