Tuesday, January 31, 2006

I am

On a chily January night, I hop onto the Saarbahn* for the short trip from Johanniskirche to my home. I've got my boyfriend's MP3 player on, and I'm lost in the music, life couldn't be better. A minute or two into the ride, I feel a pair of eyes on me, as if I'm being watched. Partially annoyed, my eyes search the passengers, and eventually I make eye contact with you. You realize you've been caught, and quickly look away. I wonder why it is you were staring, before looking back out the window and going back to my music.

Five minutes later I feel as if I'm being watched again, but this time it is another passenger, a short distance from the two of us. Once again, as I make eye contact the person looks away. I wonder what it is I'm doing that is causing the staring. I quickly do a mental check of myself, to make sure I don't have something embarrasing stuck to my clothing. All's clear, I think, and once again look away.

Then, there it is again, a third time I catch someone looking at me. I decide this can't be coincidence, and I wonder again what it is they're looking at. As I get off at my stop and start to trek towards our apartment, I realize what it is... and I send a little message note to all those who may be listening...

Yes I am that girl. I am that girl that you stared at today. Yes, it was my knee you saw bouncing in time with the music no one else could here. Yes it was my lips which were singing along to a song no one else knew. Yes, it was English I was singing to, in case you hadn't noticed. Yes, I seem to be off in my own little world, bopping away to nothing. No, despite the way it looks, I am not oblivious to my world. You see, the music helps me to relax on my trip from the University to home.... but it also makes my other senses stronger. I saw you staring at me. I know there was a woman on the Saarbahn who lives half a block away from me. How do I know? I pay attention to my surroundings. I'm not oblivious. So next time, don't stare so hard, please. After all, I am just that girl who is happy and can't help rocking out to her music. Even if no one else can hear it.



You'd think these people have never seen a girl with an MP3 player before.

Or maybe they just haven't seen an American with an MP3 player before.

Oh well.

* the Saarbahn is the local streettrain here in Saarbruecken.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home