Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Broken Nose

I'm squating next to my cabinet of jeans early on Wednesday morning, searching for the jeans that I should wear that day, when suddenly the well known sound of a new text message chirps from my cell phone. I wonder who it is that is texting me so early (9:30 am for me is early these days) as I reach for the phone and flip it open.

Upon opening it, and pressing a few buttons I reach the message. After reading it once through, I read it agian to make sure I understood what was written there. Quickly I message him back, and then eagerly await his reply. About four rounds of text message later, the situation is finally clear to me.

Fabian works with handicapped people for his Civil Service. One of the people he works with is about 18 years old, and 6 feet tall. The man's disability causes him to throw tantrums and hurt people sometimes. Because of this, Fabian is usually involved a few times a week, in restraining him while someone administers medizine to help. This day was no exception. At the breakfast table, the man grabbed Fabian's shirt, ripping it partially down the front. The man continued in this fashion, so Fabian and another worker held him down. The other worker quickly went to get some medizine, leaving Fabian momentarily alone. Quite used to the routine, Fabian held both arms and legs down all at once. The head was free however. In one split second Fabian moved his head just a little too close to the other mans. The other man saw this as his way to get free, and brought his forehead up to the Fabian's nose.

With a large crack, and lots of blood his nose was broken.

Two days later, on Friday, we were at a nearby hospital at 7:15 am. Fabian had the first surgery of his entire life that day, to straighten out his nose. He went in at 8 am. At 9:20 he came out with a white cast on his nose. For this broken nose he has gotten out of work for a week and a half. He goes back to the doctor this upcoming Friday to see if he has to go back to work next week or not. The best part for Fabian? He still gets paid, even though he isn't working.

5 Comments:

At 9:19 PM, January 18, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh my gosh! that is horriable that Fabian got his nose broken! Is he doing ok? are you doing ok? it is good that he doesn't have to go to work though. i hope everything goes well and Fabian heals soon.

 
At 9:53 AM, January 19, 2006, Blogger Mindy said...

thanks suzie. we are both okay... he's doing good. enjoying his time off!

mindy

 
At 12:05 AM, January 21, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

way didn't you tell me when we were on the phone??????
Hope he feels better soon

 
At 3:20 AM, January 21, 2006, Blogger Amy said...

Hope your man is recovering in comfort.

 
At 10:22 AM, January 26, 2006, Blogger Mindy said...

my reply to the others is a bit late, but he is recovering in comfort and not having to work! he's doing great!

mindy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home