Sunday, January 01, 2006

Mesmirized

At ten to midnight we trek out through the melting snow and water covering the roads and fields. We walk past a house with all its lights on, into a dark, wet field where no one else has come. We set down our 100 Euros worth of supplies on garbage bags to make sure they don't get wet. The bottles are filled, the lighter is ready.
Finally its time, and the ten second countdown begins. At 9 seconds to midnight the first two rockets are lite, and Fabian is going for the third when the first two scream into the air, at exactly midnight.

All around us at the same time rockets explode in the air in a miriad of colors. Behind us the church bells start to ring. We wish eachother happy new years and give a round of hugs, and then I stand there, in that wet, dark, cold, field on a hillside overlooking the town, and I'm just mesmerized.

I realize as I listen to the church bells, and watch all of the fireworks go off all around me, that there is nothing better than this. I hope everyone got to spend their new years with their loved ones, doing something that they love and enjoyed.

Me? I got to spend my New Years with Fabian, our friends, and too many fireworks in a country I'm in love with. I'm the luckiest person in the world!

Happy New Year!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home