Wednesday, February 15, 2006

News Conference

She takes a deep calming breath, moments before heading out to face the large crowd of reporters waiting for her just on the other side of the curtain. Someone signals to her that it's time, and she nods, stepping around the curtain. She looks out and sees her readers, waiting for her with cameras, and she smiles as cameras start to go off. She pauses a few seconds, then makes her way up to the podium. Once there she raises a hand to quiet the crowd, and begins her speech in a very happy tone:

"Good morning, my faithful readers and newcomers. I realize that it's been quite a while since you have been last updated on my life over here in Germany, and I apologize for the delay. I am proud to inform you, first of all, that the evil-attacking-germ-things have been abolished from my body. The fight was long, but they finally surrendered to my white blood cells, who are currently celebrating with some much needed relaxation. Unfortunately, before the germs had been removed from my body, a couple made their way to Fabian's and his body is now fighting their best for him. The outlook looks good, but we will have to wait a few days more for the outcome.

In other news, I found out my first to grades for a couple of my courses over here in Germany. In my Coversation class, I recieved an 1 - which means an A! In my Phonetic class I have received a 2 - which means a B in our system! I am overjoyed with my Conversation course, a 1 more or less means that my conversation skills in German are almost like or are like a native speaker. I may have grammar mistakes and stuff, but I can get all of my ideas across, and react to conversations in the proper way. I am also extremely happy with my phonetic's grade. No one got a 1, because a 1 would mean that you speak like a native speaker (with the way you say words and such), and hardly anyone ever sounds exactly like a native speaker in a language they have learned (usually only those who've learned the language as a young child). A B means that I have improved since I've been in the class, and that my pronunciation is good! I'm very happy with my results, and anxious to find out my other grades, which mostly won't happen for several more weeks.

This is the last week of my classes for the Semester, and I am very happy to be finally getting a break. This break, unfortunately, will be filled with writing a research paper for a class, and studying for two other tests...plus working hard on my German, but I at least can use the time to catch up on some much needed studying, relaxing, reading, and working on my photo journal for my year in Germany.

Yesterday was Valentine's Day! Happy Valentine's Day to you all! I got Fabian some chocolate, and Fabian got me two roses, and it was super sweet. We are very happy, and had a great first valentine's together (we've never actually been able to be together on valentine's day). We didn't do anything spectacular: we didn't even see eachother until 9:30 last night.... but we did get to talk, and cuddle and really connect and enjoy eachother... which is the most important thing on Valentine's Day. I hope everyone's Valentine's was as perfect as mine.

Yesterday was also a sad day, as I said goodbye to Megumi, a Japanese friend of mine, who I have become pretty good friends with, and a few others who's company I have enjoyed this semester. Megumi leaves for Japan again on Friday, and I won't see her until then. I wish her the best of luck, safe travels, and am sure she will go far in life.

And that's it for the updates for today. This was meant to be short, but unfortunately I've taken longer than I meant to. I hope you'll all forgive me. Thank you for coming out, and as always, leave any comments you would like. Have a great day!"

With that said, she smiles for the camera's one last time, then steps down from the podium, and quickly makes her way back behind the curtain, thinking to herself that today it was very tough to speak English, and not German. She takes it as a good sign, and heads off to get ready for her day.

3 Comments:

At 2:42 PM, February 15, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

good job in your classes!! it sounds like you had a great valentines day too! i like the new way of posting, it is very cool. we all miss you over here and can't wait for you to get back.

 
At 8:09 PM, February 15, 2006, Blogger Mindy said...

thanks suzie! I like the new way too... that is, when I do it. IT doesn't suite (sp?) my mood all the time, but every time it does, I post this way. It flexes my brain a bit, and is way more interesting, in my opinion! I miss you guys too.. it'll be great to see you all again!

mindy

p.s. do you have a blogger account, just to put comments up here for me?

 
At 9:07 AM, February 16, 2006, Blogger Mindy said...

Kelleen, hey! I go to trier on the 24th, so I'll be coming back on either Sunday the 26 or Monday the 27... I hear you move in on that Monday... anyways, we'll chit chat at lunch today (i hope you make it)!

mindy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home