Thursday, September 08, 2005

a haircut is a simple thing...

so.. while i was on vacation w/my boyfriend's band, a lady who was there highlighted my hair. She put blonde highlights in it but unfortunately it didn't turn out the best. The color didn't go on my entire hair, about an inch from my head the color finally started. And in some spots I had bright blonde patches, that didn't look so good. So, yesterday I went to a salon and got my hair done. Really, a haircut is a simple thing...

First, I had to call there. Well, the guy didn't speak English, so I got my point across that I needed a "Termin" (or appointment). He asked if I needed color or highlights, and I got across that I wasn't sure. I had had a problem w/home highlighting and wanted it fixed. Okay, he asked me if I could go in that same day. I said yes and my appointment was set for viertal vor drei (quarter to three). When I told him my name, I forgot that most people give last names here, and gave my first name. When I spelled it to him, using the german alphabet naturally, he misunderstood me. So instead of M-E-L-I-N-D-A my name became
M-E-R-I-N-D-A. Merinda is such a nice name.

So, We go grocery shopping before I leave. We run longer than expected and I end up going a little later than wanted. So, I take the Saarbahn (street train) to Bahnhofstrasse, where the salon was, and start walking. The place was at 101 Bahnhofstrasse, and I was at 40. So I walk, and walk, and finally find a building that says 101. In Germany, most buildings (if not all) are at least 3 or 4 stories high (if not 5 or 6). In some buildings, each floor if full of different offices or places. For instance, when I went to the doctor the other day, the doctor's office was on the 2nd floor, and was just a small practice. Most people have their own small practices. So I walk in, and look at the list of what is in this building. I don't see the salon anywhere. So, I think, "well, maybe its just not listed" so I walk all the way up to the 7th floor on a day when it is really hot outside, and in because Germany doesn't have airconditioning for their buildings really ever. Only a couple do. That's why when Germans go to america in the summer sometimes they get sick from all the ac. Finally realizing that the salon is not there, i go back down to the street and walk further on. Then I found it. Apparantly there are two different 101s on Bahnhofstrasse. (by the way Bahnhofstrasse is train station street.. though it sounds better in german).

so, i go in, about 15 minutes late... and tell the girl I have an appointment. she doesn't understand me. at all. i know i said it right, so i say it again, and give her my name. except she doesn't find it really.. then i point it out to her, and she looks at her clock and then looks annoyed at me. hey, its not my fault there are two 101s. so, I go and sit down. She asks if I want something to drink (that was cool) so I had the hated Mineral Water (club soda). It's extremely gross, but I wanted water, and when you order or ask for water here, you get mineral water. so i drank it anyways, and i didn't die from it. i've never got offered something to drink before. so then they gave me books to look at w/hair ideas, and i did. and then i waited a little while. then she came, and asked what i wanted. i told her that i wanted my highlights to be fixed, somehow. she said okay, light or dark? and asked her opinion... and she said light. since i was open to either i decided to stick to light and then we talked about how to cut my hair. i said i wanted it to stay long,w/lots of layers (except i didn't know the word for layers, so i just pointed to a picture.. she got the idea). and i told her too that I wanted to look more modern. so.. she said okay, and started cutting.

now.. this is a somewhat scary situation. you're at the hair salon, you can't get your exact thoughts across, because you don't know the words for getting your hair cut since i didn't look them up and i forgot my dictionary. as far as you know no one speaks english. so, you just sit and hope and pray that the lady knows what she is doing. so i sat. and then a large, at least 6 inch peice of my hair fell to the ground! i was like, wait.. what? didn't I say long? so, breathing I decide to not say anything, to just trust the lady, after all she does this everyday, and to try something new. So, I sat in silence as she cut my hair...

Finally the hair cut was done. I said that I liked it.. which was mostly the truth. It looks good, it is just really different than it has ever been, so I'm still getting used to it, and haven't decided if I love it or not... but the boyfriend says it looks really good on me,a nd i think it looks good too. anyways... so then came the color. she asked if i wanted it to look natural, and i said i did, so she added blond and brown (my natural brown color) highlights. that took forever. first, i had to wait forever for her to start highlighting, (she disappeared for a while) then i had to wait while she did it. then i had to wait while it sat. then we rinsed it out and washed my hair, then i had to wait for some other girl to dry my hair. then i had to wait for the first girl to come back and put stuff in my hair and ask how i like it. i said it was good. she said it was very different from before.. i said, yeah.

so then i came home, feeling totally wierd: a little more modern, up to date, and more elegant i guess you could say. so i walked in, scared and nervous of my boyfriends reaction... and he liked it. and i caught him looking at me later and he told me three or four different times that it looks good on me.

so... really, getting a haircut is a simple thing... unless you don't know the language well enough, at least not in the hair cut section of life... its one thing to get along well in other areas, but certain areas are just like, "what?" hopefully next time the hair experience will go a little better.

and.. now i'm sure you all want to know how it looks. well, sorry to say, my camera is broken, so i can't take any pics. i did however order a new one, so as soon as it arrives i will take a pic and put it up and you can all see!

well, today i find out how i did on my placement exam. i'm nervous.. and anxious.. but i better go eat some grub and get some stuff done before i go. fabian also leaves tonight to go see a friend graduate from the military. i'm not going, so i will have an evening to myself...i'd rather him be here, because i like spending time with him, but i'm also looking forward to it a little bit.. i've been here 2 months today. and tomorrow i start my class... yay! finally, I'll have a class!

anyways, have a good day everyone! and don't forget to appreciate the little things in life which become big ordeals when you're in another country w/another language!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home