Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Doctor Visit # 1

Well, I'm back from the doctors. It went well overall, I suppose you could say.

I got there, and first I had to fill out a questionaire. You really take questionares for granted until you have to sit with a dictionary in order to answer some of the questions.

So, after 15 minutes or so the couple page questionaire was completed, and the doctor game. I thought I was seeing a female doctor, but I ended up with a male doctor. Since he was nice and seems thorough, I don't really care.

Then I explained the situation to him as best as I could in German. At times he was a bit confused, as was I but we got through it, and he understood what my problems were. He checked my blood pressure, my pulse, my breathing, and my heart. He also sent me for an EKG which tests your heart. And tomorrow morning I have to go back in to get a blood test. This is what I learned so far today:

1. My blood pressure was 100/60, which is a bit low. According to a Medical Encyclopedia website, normal is between 90/60 and 130/80. While mine still technically falls into the normal range, the doctor can safely assume that it is lower than normal regularly. Why? Because normally a person's blood pressure in a doctor's office (especially a new doctor/situation - like me being nervous going to a doctor and explaining everything in German) is higher than normal. Since I was nervous and in new surroundings, my blood pressure today was more than likely higher than it usually is, which is why he thinks I have low blood pressure. Which if I remember right, has been a problem in my life before.

2. My pulse was okay the first time he took it, and later a bit slow but not so slow to worry about. The EKG turned out normal, so whatever is causing this, it doesn't seem to have anything to do with my heart (yay!).

3. I remembered that I have low amounts of Iron in my blood. I believe this is one of the things that will be tested tomorrow morning in the blood test.

So, what are the next steps? Well, he gave me meds - a pill to take three times a day and drops of some stuff to take each morning with sugar or bread. Should be interesting, especially cause I'm supposed to let the stuff melt in my mouth, and they do not look very tasty.

Next Thursday (06/04/2006) I have to go to a Neurologist and to an Ear, Nose and Throat doctor. Which isn't too cool. Well, I'm happy to be getting this taken care of. But yeah. Next Thursday I have to be at the Neurologists at 9 am, but since they are completely booked (and we don't want my case to wait for weeks and weeks and weeks) I get to show up, and they will fit me in as soon as they can. Which hopefully does not mean that I have to wait ALL DAY. Then in the afternoon I get to go to the Ear/Nose/Throat doctor. At least there I have a specific appointment time.

After that I need to call the same doctor that I saw today on Monday the 10 or so (which may be hard since I'll be in France) and make sure that the results from whatever tests the other two doctors do have come in, along with my blood test from tomorrow, and then I get to make an appointment, and go back to the doctor to discuss the findings. Hopefully there will be findings. But then again, maybe just having low blood pressure would be a good thing. Oh - and we also learned that my blood pressure does not get lower when going from laying down to standing up, which he said would be normal... I guess I have an inkling that this is more than just low blood pressure.

So, really, we just don't know too much of anything. Quite annoying if you ask me.

And the best part? I get to go to TWO MORE DOCTORS and explain to them what's up and go through a bunch more tests.

And one last note: as I got the EKG done, it was administered by a woman. In the states the woman would leave/turn around while you took off your top and bra in order to take the test, but in Germany (as was the case when I went to the other doctor too last fall) they just stand there while you take your clothes off. Its not in a perverted way or anything, and they are girls, so it isn't like I have anything they don't... its just a bit weird when your not used to it.

2 Comments:

At 2:57 PM, March 29, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you know what the date is? Once again you have put the wrong date in (6-4-06?)do you mean 4-4-06?
Love Mom

 
At 8:33 AM, March 31, 2006, Blogger Mindy said...

Oops, sorry. I mean April 6, 2006. With the American date system the date would look like this - 4.06.06, with the German system the date looks like this - 6.04.06... that means that I'm so used to writing Day-month-year that it is really hard for me to write it the american way. It was hard enough for me to remember in my post to put slashes instead of just dots!

he he he

so, yeah... next thursday. just under a week.

mindy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home