Monday, March 13, 2006

It'll be okay

I just wanted to add to my last post that it'll be okay.

When I get back I am going to make sure I can volunteer at the zoo in Fargo.

In the summer of 2007 I will do my best to get an internship somewhere at a very good zoo. (which may be hard monetarily, but will need to be done if I plan on ever working in a zoo).

When it comes time I will apply for internships/jobs for after graduation. Who knows, maybe my other qualifications will make up for not as much experience (such as speaking 2 languages, having completed research in another country, having had an interniship {hopefully} somewhere, preferably at a good zoo, having worked with dogs/cats for 3 years {better than nothing}), and if not, then I do what I've always planned on doing: finding an internship or working full time while volunteering somewhere until I prove myself/get enough experience/find a job.

It'll be tough. But that's life I suppose, huh?

And besides, right now I have a lot of other things to do with the rest of my year here. In the next three weeks I need to:

1. Learn the stuff for my test in April.
2. Come up with a new research project (my old one is pretty much worthless I learned yesterday).
3. Start research/make plans to research/etc.
4. Work on my Photo Journal for my year here.
5. practice German.
6. Excercise.

So, that stuff should keep me busy. Then Dad and Bev come to visit (yay) then school starts, and I will be really busy with that. But I'm still sad I can't volunteer (though I'm still trying to get ahold of the people at a Birds of Prey Park nearby.)

The biggest problem may be beating the competition for the jobs I apply for eventually. After all, there are lots of people out there who have spent time in high school and in college (like, lots of time) volunteering, or interning at zoos and will have several years more experience than I will have, though we are the same age and apply for the job at the same time. This could be bad. I will have to hope that getting good contacts out there and working really hard to prove myself as a volunteer will be enough to get me a job. It isn't my own capabilities that make me wonder if getting work at a zoo will work, it is the experience of others which scares me.

Okay, seriously, I spend too much time alone thinking and worrying too much. I need to get out. That is the main reason why I'm sad volunteering doesn't work someplace: I need to get out of the apartment a couple of times a week for several hours. Maybe I can volunteer somewhere else...?

hmmmmm....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home