Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Reflections: 1 Year Blogging & (soon) I Year in Germany

On this fourth of July, I can't help but reflect back on the previous year, as my blog was begun exactly 1 year ago today from the office in my parent's house with this post.

I started out this adventure then, with so many ideas in my head of how it would go, all the friends I would make, the German I would be able to speak, and the way my relationship with Fabian would turn out after this year. I was scared and excited all at the same time, I wanted everything I could possibly get out of this year.

And now, here I am, just a little over one month before I leave: 54 days or so. I feel like I'm thousands of miles away from that girl who started out this year scared and excited, but at the same time I feel like the same girl. I guess it's the same feeling anyone gets, when they start out their life with one mind set, and then go through the real deal and change their mind set. That is what happened to me this year. There were great times, and scary times, and plain old not so good times. I've been lucky to have this year here, and I wouldn't change a thing about it. Here's what I've learned:

1. Learning a second language is a constant process. You never stop learning and you never stop making mistakes occassionaly, but that's okay.
2. College in another language is T.O.U.G.H.
3. Spoken tests are just like 20 minute presentations, except you don't get any notecards.
4. No matter what happens in my life, I'll be okay.
5. It's easy to take for granted the little things in life that you don't get in another country: like drinking fountains (from the states) or brötchen (aka rolls: Germany).
6. I'm a procrastinator at heart.
7. I tend to stress myself out with too much things on my plate to do. But I always get things done.

8. In Germany they only put one space between sentences. Now I only put one space between sentences.

9. I tend to become a hermit when I'm too stressed out.

10. I didn't make nearly as many friends as I thought I would, but the ones I have are good. And I've learned how great it is to just spend the evenings/weekends with Fabian.


So, here's cheers to one year and hoping that the next year teaches me just as much as this past year has. Life is always a learning experience. With all the learning I've done this year, I've made some great memories and created a new me who I like.

In celebration of my one here on blogger, here are a few of my favorite posts:
* Diving
* I am
* News Conference

HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY EVERYONE! (enjoy your day off. me, I still have class/work).

** Edit: Upon rereading this blog, my reflections sound almost negative about my year and I want to make sure you all know: my year here has really been wonderful. I'm really really lucky. I'm just also really really tired right now, which is why I think I sould a bit more pessimistic. It's too early to be chipper! :)

2 Comments:

At 7:16 PM, July 05, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think it sounds like you are pessimistic about your year in Germany. You sound like someone who has lived and learned and has become a better person for it. You have taken your "rose colored glasses" off so to speak, but at the same time you are enjoying life. You have realized a lot of things this last year, and I am glad you have had this time.

 
At 4:58 PM, July 08, 2006, Blogger Amy said...

I've told you this before, but I wanted to reiterate it now: I think you are very courageous to move to another country and go to school there. I wish I had done something like this when I was young and had no responsibilities to anyone other than myself. I respect you a lot for what you've accomplished, and, yes, I am the teensiest bit jealous!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home